Re: [Jackit-devel] Tascam-428 - does anyone have one fully working?

Matt Savigear wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:28:59 +0000
> Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Matt Savigear wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Despite various hints on the web to the contrary, it seems my
>>> researches cannot come up with any way of getting my Tascam-428 USB
>>> unit to use all four inputs under jack simultaneously (despite use
>>> of the hw:1,2 rawusb device). Before I keep slogging on I have a
>>> general question to see if it is worth my while:
>>>
>>> Does anybody on-list have a fully functioning Tascam US-428
>>> including the use of all four inputs?
>>>
>> I have no US-428 here. My experience only deals with US-224 (only 2
>> input channels). The answer that I can forward is that the C+D
>> input/capture channels of the US-428 are only available thru the
>> "rawusb" device (hw:N,2). Nothing else. On its turn, this "rawusb"
>> subdevice is only available if you load snd-usb-usx2y with nrpacks=1.
>> I assume you have that right already. A also assume that you have your
>> jackd running on this hw:N,2 interface and you're probably seeing four
>> capture ports under alsa_pcm. Is that right? If so, make sure you have
>> us428control running and actually working. Test and tweak the faders,
>> taking special care with INPUT MONITOR mode which can help in your
>> findings. Do you probe any signal thru all and each of the (4)
>> channels? Or only on the first two?
>>
>> In any case, please be prepared to have extensive reports ready to
>> alsa-devel maillist -- and yes, some more procedural and systematic
>> details are certainly mandatory on asking for help there ;)
>
> Thanks for your reply. Yep, I tried a few questions but didn't get much
> back so I thought I'd get a general idea of what people had before
> pestering the list too much.
>
> Here's where I am at...
> I am using a 2.6.20 pre-emptible gentoo kernel on AMD64.
> Jack is version 0.102.20, alsa-firmware is 1.0.14-rc2.
> I am launching snd-usb-usx2y with nrpacks=1
> I am using pam to get realtime privileges.
>
> If I run jackd with realtime against hw:1 and the default input and
> output settings, I get a fully functional duplex recording setup using
> inputs A and B only. As expected, C and D are not seen due to the fact
> the visible device only has two. This is OK, but my band has four
> musicians and I already own a US-122...
>
> I think I have us428control running OK (it certainly is running at
> least). How can I test the functionality of the faders and so on? They
> currently aren't directly connected to anything in software that I'm
> aware of. I have a US-428/Controls source in the MIDI section of
> qjackctl's connection dialog, but none of my sliders "select" or "mute"
> buttons do anything. The transport controls illuminate but don't
> actually do anything to the transport (I was ignoring the control
> surface thing until I got the recording basics working).

The transport controls are effective but you have to setup a proper MMC
closed-loop with Ardour, for instance. Make sure you connect
US-428:Controls to ardour:seq and vice-versa. Then you'll have your
control surface alright ;)

Ah, the REC, MUTE, and SOLO fader-channel switches are only effective
with this last week's us428control incarnation, which are on alsa-tools
HG tree already. You'll have to wait for next alsa-tools release -- or
you can use the latest standalone tarball as found here:
  http://www.rncbc.org/usx2y/us428control-0.4.6-2.tar.gz

> If I run jackd directly against hw:1,2 I get...
>   jackd 0.102.20
>   Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
>   jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>   under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
>   JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>   Enhanced3DNow! detected
>   SSE2 detected
>   creating alsa driver ...
>   hw:1,2|hw:1,2|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit control device
>   hw:1 ALSA/USX2Y: Cannot open hwdep device "hw:1,1"

There's your trouble. It doesn't seem to be able on getting the "rawusb"
device complex in shape; although the numbering looks misleading it's
actually right: hw:1,1 is supposed to work on behalf of hw:1,2 as a
hwdep, in alsa driver parlance;) but does not have a pleasant response
to the jackd backend.

You're back to scratch: check that your snd-usb-usx2y is actually loaded
with nrpacks=1 parameter setting and check whether there's actually the
proper hwdep device up and running. Did you select hw:1,2 from qjackctl
drop-down menu or you just stuffed it on the entry field box? If hw:1,2
is not listed on that menu (the one shown by the [>] button) you don't
have your snd-usb-usx2y module properly setup, that's for sure. But you
tell me :)

Good checks are:

# cat /proc/asound/cards

# cat /proc/asound/devices

# cat /proc/asound/pcm

actually, this last one should show something like the following TWO lines:

01-00: US-X2Y Audio : US-X2Y Audio #0 : playback 1 : capture 1
01-02: US-X2Y hwdep Audio : US-X2Y hwdep Audio : playback 1 : capture 1

but this is only reading from my US-224 knowledge. YMMV :/

>   ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
>   capture-only mode cannot load driver module alsa
>   no message buffer overruns
>
> Now, I have attempted to run jack using alternative devices such as
> forcing hw:1,2 for input but hw:1,0 for output and other similar
> combinations, but these have so far all resulted in segfaults in either
> jack or ardour as soon as I try to connect the input to a track.
>
> It is possible (nay, likely) that I have merely done something stupid
> or overlooked a simple setting, but I'm not too close to the subject to
> see it. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@xxxxxxxxx