Re: no switches to preamplify my mic.

Hi!

I just tried out something that might help you: I played back a very
silent piece of sound and amplified it. Doing the same thing with
recording should be similar. Here is what I put to my ~/.asoundrc file:

pcm.amplify {
	type		route
	slave.pcm	"default"
	ttable.0.0	20
	ttable.1.1	20
}

pcm.softvolamp {
	type		softvol
	slave.pcm	"amplify"
	control.name	"Amplifier"
}

The first device amplifies a stereo stream with the factor 20 and passes
it to the device "default" (add "ttable.2.2 20" etc if you have more
channels or change slave name according to your suits).

The second device adds a volume control with controls the volume before
it is amplified. I mostly did that to silence the sound I was playing,
so I could test the "amplify" device, but it might be usefull to have
such a control anyway. Another example of how the softvol device is used
can be found at:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/How_to_use_softvol_to_control_the_master_volume

If you are able to amplify your mic that way, please let me know, or
even better, write a small howto in the wiki above. That'd be great!!

Regards, Ingo