Re: Tascam US-122 woes on Dell Inspiron E1705 notebook

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 03:07:52PM -0700, Andy Meredith wrote:
> I just got my very own Tascam US-122 in the mail yesterday!
> ...unfortunately,
> I can only playback audio for anywhere between about 2 and 20 seconds - then
> whatever application is playing back the audio freezes. For instance, when I
> fire up Moby's "Drop a Beat" in xmms or rhythymbox, it will play the first
> few seconds of the track, the it pauses. Now I can play it from that point
> again, but after several seconds... it pauses. Has anybody else here had
> similar problems?
> Also, in the gnome volume control app, I can only control the tascam through
> the OSS mixer, and I would really prefer to use the alsa mixer if at all
> possible. When I try to run alsamixer -c 1 (which is the number of the
> Tascam), I get the error message: "No mixer elems found." I don't think this
> should be happening, but I have no clue how to fix it. I would really,
> Really, REALLY appreciate some help!
>
> -Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I've had a tascam us-122, which I've used with linux (predominantly) for over
a year now.  My platform is debian (stable or unstable).  The product has been
rather stable, occasionally I'll get a "hickup" when I am on a machine using
USB1, but when using USB2 it has been rock solid.  I am using a recent linux
kernel (2.6.19) and the firmware from the alsa site.

As far as mixer elements, I believe this device only supports it's "hardware
mixer" (ie: the physical knobs on the device), and not any software mixer
support.  From one point of view, this makes things more straight forward.

regards,
donfede

--
Federico Grau