RME HDSP 9632 device busy with Xine and Mplayer

Hello,

I'm trying to get Mplayer and Xine to talk natively to the Also driver for the
RME HDSP 9632 with little success. I'm using the following in my asoundrc for
direct analog output:

pcm.hdsp_analog {
        type plug
        ttable.0.10 1
        ttable.1.11 1
        slave.pcm hdsp
        }

I can use hdsp_analog as the alsa device in other apps, such as Audacious, and
as the arts output device (although I don't really use it this way).

But with Mplayer I get: "alsa-init: unable to set hw-parameters: Device or
resource busy" and Xine complains about the device being busy as well.

I can stick JACK in the mix as a workaround but would rather avoid this if
there's another way.

Thanks,

Chris