Re: Beginner question - getting started with ALSA on a Fedora Core 6

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, david feldman wrote:

> Thanks Bill and Sergei!
>
> Here is the new information:
>
>> lsmod|grep snd
>> What does this list?
>
> Empty - no module with "snd" in it!

OK, that means that you have no sound card driver loaded. It is not
surprising then that you have no sound.

If what is below is your /etc/modprobe.conf, then just do
modprobe snd-card-0
Now, do lsmod|grep snd again. If still nothing shows up do
dmesg|tail -20
and look for error messages from the attempt to load the sound card driver.

Maybe you do not have a CS4236 sound card?

If you now have snd- modules loaded, try alsamixer to turn on the volume
(it is always off by default) and then use aplay and arecord.