Beginner question - getting started with ALSA on a Fedora Core 6 server

My server machine is now Fedora Core 6 (just a web/ftp/windows file server - no desktop, X, etc.), and I'd like to make use of it's sound port using arecord and aplay.

/var/log/dmesg includes the line:

isapnp: Card 'CS4236  Audio'

and the following RPMs are installed:

alsa-lib-1.0.12-2.fc6
alsa-utils-1.0.12-3.fc6

###

When I try aplay -l (to list sound devices), I get this:

# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:222: no soundcards found...

There is no file /etc/asound.conf, which I gather is normally present.

###

I'm having trouble finding a starting point to get to where aplay/arecord can be used - where should I start?

Thanks,

Dave

Type your favorite song.  Get a customized station.  Try MSN Radio powered by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001