Re: [Jackit-devel] help with realtime capabilities and 2.6.20 kernels

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 19:00 +0100, Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With Tapsa, a finnish kernel hacker, we are testing some kernels that he is
> building and uploading here for the Musix GNU/Linux distribution:
>
> http://linux.ilmainen.net/musix/temp/
>
> We have problems using these kernels from a non-root user: JACK has no
> realtime capabilities. From a root user, all went ok. But, of course, we need
> to use JACK as non-root user.
>
> "# modprobe realcap
> FATAL: Error inserting realcap
> (/lib/modules/2.6.20-rc2-rt3/kernel/security/realcap.ko): Invalid argument"
>
> ¿?
>
> "There don't even seem to be any capability module existing any more
> (only following beginning with "cap"):
> # modprobe cap
> capi     capidrv  capifs   capmode

Not sure why you think that capabilities have anything to do with JACK
on a modern system - that went out with 2.4.

Just use a PAM version newer than 0.79 and configure the required limits
in /etc/security/limits.conf.  It's well documented in the archives of
this list, LAD, and LAU.

If you can't use a recent PAM, apply the realtime LSM patch to the
kernel.

Lee