alsa, oss and jack

Hi all,

I have an audigy as first sound card in my box, a webcam as second sound card,
and virmidi as third. This with gentoo, a 2.6.19-rt15 kernel and the in-kernel
alsa drivers. I was trying to write a .asoundrc file in order to use some oss
application with the alsa API. The result was at the sound from flash 9
(some kind of worst case scenario) when listening to
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=2229|3385 was hopping
all the time, when it's hopping without any .asoundrc only when I open or close
a windows or when I shift from a virual desktop to another one.

So, I removed my .asoundrc and used arecord to record the stream. But I really
want to use only one sound server with all my apps, ideally jack, otherwise
alsa. Is it possible to configure dmix so at all the sound applications will
use the same sound server by default, ideally jack, and without decreasing the
performances as it was the case with my flash test?

A sub question is about the rate_convert plugin on
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php
My audigy card use 48kHz as internal sampling rate and a 16 bits internal
format. Will a rate_convert plugin be necessary in order to increase the
performances of the dmix plugin?

The .asoundrc I used for my test was as follow:

pcm.oss {
    type oss
    device /dev/dsp
    }

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
        }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
        }
}

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
            pcm "hw:0,0"
            period_time 0
            period_size 1024
            buffer_size 4096
            rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
            0 0
            1 1
        }

pcm.dsp0
{
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

ctl.dmixer0 {
        type hw
        card 0
}

Another issue is at the oss applications as audacity was not working with this
file but only complaining about no sound device.

Best,
Dominique