Re: Swapped motherboard, CPU, etc. and Debian/Linux can't play audio/sound.

On Monday 25 December 2006 19:14, Phillip Pi wrote:

> > > Yeah, I did that and kmix (in KDE). Nothing comes out. I also think the
> > > onboard sound is dectected correctly:
> > >
> > > AlsaMixer v1.0.13
> > > Card: VIA 8237
> > > Chip: Analog Devices AD1980
> > > Item: Master
> > >
> > > Does that look right? I know it is VIA and ADI, but don't know about
> > > the model numbers.
> >
> > According to the Alsa soundcard support matrix AD1980 is supported, if
> > I'm reading it correctly.
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Analog_Devic
> >es#matrix
> >
> > What does, cat /proc/asound/cards  print?
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
>                       VIA 8237 with AD1980 at 0xdc00, irq 201
>
> > And the output of, lspci -v   (Just the soundcard bit will do)
>
> # lspci -v
>
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V600/K8V-X/K8V Deluxe
> motherboard (ADI AD1980 codec [SoundMAX])
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 201
>         I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
>         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>
> 00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem
> Controller (rev 80)
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 201
>         I/O ports at 1000 [disabled] [size=256]
>         Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

> # lsmod |grep snd
> snd_seq_dummy           4164  0
> snd_seq_oss            29120  0
> snd_seq_midi            8544  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7488  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                46224  6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_via82xx            26328  1
> gameport               14920  1 snd_via82xx
> snd_via82xx_modem      14408  0
> snd_ac97_codec         83360  2 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem
> snd_ac97_bus            2688  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss            39200  0
> snd_mixer_oss          15552  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_mpu401_uart         8384  1 snd_via82xx
> snd_rawmidi            23200  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_device          8140  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
> snd_pcm                68996  4
> snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              21316  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                    47524  14
> snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_os
>s,snd_mixer_oss,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> snd_page_alloc          9928  3 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_pcm
> soundcore               9568  1 snd

All the above stuff seems ok.

> > Check also KDE's control centre/sound and multimedia/sound system, and
> > uncheck the "Enable the sound system" checkbox, which will disable the
> > aRts soundserver. This is often a problem with cards that are incapable
> > of handling multiple audio streams.
>
> Already disabled. I had problems with them with my last motherboard
> using its VIA AC97 onboard sound. Either way, I still can't hear audio
> if I am not in X with play and speaker-test commands. :( They used to
> work on my old motherboard setup.
>
> Speaking of hardware swap, was I supposed to reset something?

I don't know, as I've never swapped a mobo.

Which Debian version are you using, and which kernel (uname -r)

What does, cat /proc/asound/version  show for the alsa driver version

Try running as root.
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
then
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start

Is Alsa starting ok after stopping it?

the 2 commands for alsactl, running them as root, are.
alsactl store , (which saves alsamixer settings when you shutdown)
and
alsactl restore, (which restores previously saved settings when you reboot)

It may be worth having a good look at alsamixer. My alsamixer for the audigy2
soundblaster is no good to you, and the card you have just seems to do
analog, but it's worth rechecking that there arn't any switches that are
muted.

Speaker-test is normally a good test, not only for individual speakers, but
just to see if you have any sound at all.

The guys that normally reply on this list are no doubt taking a break. If you
still have problems, it might be worth reposting in a few days.

All the best.

Nigel.