Re: how to change sample rate in Realtek ALC883 (HDA NVidia) ?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:34:16 -0800 (PST)
Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have a new MB with Realtek ALC883 (HDA NVidia) - sound works OOB - at
> > least, "line in" and "headphones out" so far - haven't tried other features yet.
> >
> > Thanks for the sound.
> >
> > Web search shows that Realtek ALC883 supports wide range of sample rates.
> >
> > Neither 'Kmix' nor 'alsamixer' show switches to change sample rate - there
> > was one for M-Audio Revolution 7.1, for example.
> >
> > If ALC883 supports wide range of sample rates, how can I can change it ?
>
> Your recording/playing software will alter the sample rate.
> >
> > Is it possible change sample rate through 'amixer' ?
>
> No. that is not how it is done. Usually the program will change the sample
> rate.
> arecord -r44100 -c 2 -t wav -f S16_LE output.wav
> (mind you the above could all be written as arecord -f cd /output.wav
>

> > Is there a good reason not to have sample rate in 'alsamixer' and friends ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >  Sergei.

And what is the application if I'm simply watching TV - the TV capture card
is connected to "Line In", so the only application I'm aware of is
'alsamixer'/'Kmix' itself.

And why did the developers put sample rate control into 'alsamixer' for
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 ?

I haven't yet tried OpenWengo with ALC883 - with M-Audio Revolution 7.1 I
had to manually changed sample rate to 32000 because otherwise OpenWengo
changed voice pitch to become unnaturally high and there was stutter.

On the other hand, Skype needs sample rate of 44100.

So, I would rather prefer to have a quick and direct way to change sample
rate.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

--