maybe some asoundrc magic?

Hi all,

I've got a headless home server computer in a closet, a via8237 based
Abit AV8, with a Realtek ALC658 sound chip. The computer functions also
as a PVR and is connected to my amplifier with an optical toslink cable
and the video output is handled with directfb. I'm also running a dummy
X server on the machine and connect to that using vnc.

Right now, the basic output for 48kHz streams via spdif is working but....

...my dream setup would function so, that all audio streams (16bit PCM,
44.1/48kHz + occasionally AC3) would be send to the amplifier without
resampling (my amplifier can handle those). In addition, the output from
the applications running on the X server would be redirected to a
network aware sound server (preferably pulseaudio) so I could add sound
to my vnc sessions to the remote server.

I think this should be doable with alsa + pulseaudio, using some
asoundrc magic. I've tried some solutions found by googling but none has
really worked for me. So I'm hoping some asoundrc wizard here can maybe
help me out?

TIA, juhis