Skype: are other people having grief with the microphone?

Hi,

I have three older Pentium III Thinkpads, all running Debian Testing with kernel 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 and built in Alsa modules.

One Thinkpad i1200 has always, for two years now, worked out-of-the-box very well with Skype/Alsa.... no tweaking required.

On the other two Thinkpads, all sound apps play just fine, Skype included. Skype is the only thing I use which requires a microphone, and the mic appears not to work properly on both. SOMETHING appears to be working, because if I unplug the headphones and let the built-in speakers play, I have to quickly mute the mic in the mixer because of the feedback.

On the Thinkpad X20 that I would most like to get working, I have briefly heard very distorted mic input from the X20's internal mic with OSS (Alsa emulation, I believe) selected, and Skype playback also is quite distorted under OSS. But I have never gotten even this meager mic ability to work consistently.

With Alsa selected instead of OSS, Skype playback is crystal clear but neither internal nor external mic can be heard (Kmix allows me to select mic1 or mic2).

Any suggestions/strategies for how to get my mic working? I have already pushed buttons endlessly in kmix and alsamixer looking for the magic combination of on/off buttons, but to no avail.....

I haven't yet had the opportunity to finetune Alsa, so I am not entirely sure what configuration details you would like to see posted. Right now it is the default Debian sound configuration plus whatever happened when I ran alsaconf during system install and just today.

#lspci -v
00:0a.1 Communication controller: 3Com Corporation Mini PCI 56k Winmodem (rev 20)
        Subsystem: 3Com Corporation Unknown device 6159
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
        Memory at f4011c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Memory at f4011800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]

00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4281 PCI Audio (rev 01)
        Subsystem: IBM Unknown device 0183
        Memory at f4010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]