cant load hdsp - wait... a miracle, it loads!

hi,
this might sound funny, but after i wrote that mail and going through
all steps again to post all the console output the card is working, so I
just post this because it was a lot of work to get it running and maybe
someone has a clue what the problem might have been.

(hope this is the right list to post this). I am having problems getting
my rme multiface+pcmcia card to run. I am on an old toshiba satellite
laptop with debian, kernel 2.6.17. and I use alsa version 1.0.13.
lspci gives me
00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1644/M1644T Northbridge+Trident
(rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ALi Corporation PCI to AGP Controller
00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:04.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c3)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link
Controller Audio Device (rev 01)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533/M1535 PCI to ISA Bridge
[Aladdin IV/V/V+]
00:08.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro
100] (rev 0d)
00:11.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC100 PCI to
Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 32)
00:11.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC100 PCI to
Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 32)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1
(rev 82)
02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall
DSP (rev 0e)
so the card is there. alsaconf also recognizes the card, (following
cards are found on your system: hdsp ... xilinx corporation [...] ok,
sounddriver is configured ... but is not able to load.
also cat /proc/asound/cards only shows my built in ali5451
hdsploader also could not initiate the card, the red error led on the
muliface was still on.
so I compiled a new kernel, maybe the old one was with alsa not as a
module, but fix built in.
I tried to find the snd-hdsp module anywhere on my system but could not
find it. I found snd-hdsp.ko (but with "modprobe /path/to/sdn-hdsp" I
also got an error). OTOH lsmod showed the snd_hdsp loaded. (could it be
that this was an oss module?)
First I also could not find the firmwarebinaries for the hdsploader,
only the command "hdsploader". But I installed the firmware package and
compiled it, and then there was a bin-file.

so at the the end the thing is running... I think the problem was the
original debian kernel with built in alsa, but no support for the hdsp?
thanks for listening. marius.