Re: alsa-lib: alsa.pc's Libs shouldn't contain -lm -ldl -lpthread

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:34:07 -0600,
> r10 kindsofpeople wrote:
>
>> First, let me apologize a second time...I thought I had found this thread on
>> Alsa-user, but in fact it was posted to alsa-cvslog.  I imagine it was more
>> than a bit confusing without the context of the rest of the thread.
>>
>> The bulk of that message was:
>> -lm -ldl -lpthread are _not_ needed in Libs (since the alsa interface
>> doesn't depend on libm, libdl or libpthread interface) and just bring
>> unneeded dependencies. These should rather be put in Libs.private:
>>
>> Libs: -L${libdir} -lasound
>> Libs.private: -lm -ldl -lpthread
>>
>> See ALSA bug#2212 .
>> and what follows after that was a difference file for making these changes
>> to alsa.pc.in
>>
>> I'm trying to build the library to run on a uClinux target that apparently
>> does not support libdl.  But when I build the alsa library with
>> --disable-shared --enable-static it still terminates when it can't find
>> libdl.
>>

> Do you mean the build of alsa-lib itself?  Then alsa.pc is
> irrelevant.  It must be in src/Makefile.am.  Try to remove -ldl
> there.

Will that change anything to his problem, though ?
I mean, won't he need to remove _the code_ that uses dl* functions or,
at least, write something to remap dl* functions on functions ? Those
would just passes back a fake handle on dlopen, does nothing on dlclose,
and gives back good functions on dlsyms calls.
(and if he doesn't use plugins, this should be ok)

please tell me if i'm completely lost :)

Ben

> Takashi
>

>> And as you indicate, when I remove all references to -lm -ldl -pthread in
>> the configuration files, the build terminates with undefined references.
>>
>> Any help with building the alsa to run under uCLinux would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> John
>>

>>> From: Benoit Fouet <benoit.fouet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> To: r10 kindsofpeople <r10kindsofpeople@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> CC: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Subject: Re:  alsa-lib: alsa.pc's Libs shouldn't contain -lm
>>> -ldl -lpthread
>>> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:24:12 +0100
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> ./configure,

>>> if you build alsa library without those linkage, you'll have undefined
>>> reference to some functions (and btw your library will not be built):
>>>
>>> gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/aserver aserver.o  ../src/.libs/libasound.so
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `log'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `sqrt'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `sqrtf'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dladdr'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dlclose'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `rint'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `fmod'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pow'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `log10'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `exp'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
>>> ../src/.libs/libasound.so: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
>>>
>>> pthread_* => libpthread
>>> dl* => libdl