Re: asoundrc, ladspa and biamplification

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 00:15:23 +0100
"J. Pauli" <jpauli@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Frédéric,
>
> I tried exactly the same some time ago. Unfortunately the outcome was
> the same: no sound on both amps. My guess was, that the front and rear
> "output thingy" mute each other when they got initialized, that is one
> could use either of them but not both. I don't know for sure but the
> only option I see is to combine the streams and then route it through
> the surround51 device but I never came that far.
>
> Cheers, Jan
>
> ---
>
> BISSON Frédéric wrote:
> > Hi there !
> >
> > I'm trying to do biamplification (maybe triamplification) under Linux
> > (FC6 x86_64) with ALSA and an Audigy 1 ES.
> >
> > I tried the following configuration :
> >
> >                 -- Low-pass filter --- rear speakers --->
> >                /
> > ->-multi plugin
> >                \
> >                 -- High-pass filter -- front speakers --->
> >
> > (the asoundrc is at the end of this mail)
> >
> > I use aplay -Dbiamp test.wav to run a test
> > I get no error message but my speakers emit no sound.
> > aplay -v -v -Dbiamp test.wav does not give more help.
> >
> > After investigation, it seems that the problem is between the multi
> > plugin and the ladspa plugins but I have not been able to determine what
> > was wrong. I have also tested each part individually and they seem to
> > work. It is not due to a mixer settings as every output is set to max,
> > neither it is due to a jack incorrectly plugged behind the soundcard.
> >
> > Does anyone have tried to do something similar ?
> > Does anyone see what I did wrong ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Frédéric Bisson
> >
> > ------ ~/.asoundrc -------------------------------------------------
> > # generate a 4 channels stream from a 2 channels stream (stereo)
> > pcm.biamp {
> >   type plug
> >   slave.pcm "bassmediumhigh"
> >   route_policy "duplicate"
> > }
> >
> > # create a fork with 2x2 channels stream from one 4 channels stream,
> > # one stream for bass frequencies and
> > # one stream for medium-high frequencies
> > pcm.bassmediumhigh {
> >   type multi
> >
> >   slaves {
> >     a {
> >       pcm "copybass"
> >       channels 2
> >     }
> >
> >     b {
> >       pcm "copymediumhigh"
> >       channels 2
> >     }
> >   }
> >
> >   bindings [
> >     { slave a channel 0 }
> >     { slave a channel 1 }
> >     { slave b channel 0 }
> >     { slave b channel 1 }
> >   ]
> > }
> >
> > # convert bass stream from multi to accomodate ladspa lpf
> > pcm.copybass {
> >   type plug
> [...]

Just curious - does LPF alone or HPF alone work ?

Anyway, if you don't insist on .asoundrc implementation,
you can use any jackd-capable LADSPA host and JACK.

A well known jackd-capable LADSPA host is 'ecasound'.

It's a much more sure way for those of us who do not master
.asoundrc trickery - I belong to the category.

--Sergei.

--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.