Re: snd-hda-intel and ALC861 ... strange mixer problem...

Patrick J Kobly wrote:
> Sorry, haven't been following this thread...  The behaviour I
> experienced that this fixed was:
>
> - under 1.0.12, mixer was not working properly.  (no headphone volume,
> internal speakers worked fine, no mixer track for headphone)
> - 1.0.13 had some patches related to mixers in hda_intel devices, so I
> installed it
> - with 1.0.13, sound either stuttered (playing the first bit of the
> sample repeatedly) or didn't play at all.
> - using disable_msi=1 as a module parameter fixed the stutter /
> no-play problem, and I subsequently discovered that 1.0.13 had fixed
> the mixer issues as well
...well i bought *this*  asus am2 motherboard (nvidia) a couple of
months ago so my history of the working of this soundchip 1986A (is this
corect?) is analog/the same as yours. to prevent getting mad i put my
audigy soundcard on this motherboard and compiled ca0106 into the linux
kernels 2.4.x etc.  and 2.6.x etc, because of a nasty bug in the earlier
custom  ca0106_alsa-audigy-driver/chips in the 2.6 kernel.

steef

> When you tried with code from hg-tree did you get correct behaviour
> except for the mixer issues?

shouldn't know. maybe Thomas did??

s.
> PK
>
> Thomas Creutz wrote:
>> steef schrieb:
>>
>>> some links about msi
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Signaled_Interrupts

>> hmm.. you think, *this* mixer problem it´s depending on the MSI
>> (IRQ-Configuration) ?

yes, i think that is a good guess till something better turns up. one of
the two sources i sent you (from patrick!) suggests that
CONFIG_PCI_MSI=y

and

CONFIG_PCI_USE_VECTOR

should be compiled into the kernel to get things reaally going (if i
understand him well)

another chap advised because of all these troubles (temporarily) to get
rid of the msi_vector technology or to install a patch into the
kernel(s). (i googled snd-hda-intel  disable msi=1).

regards,

steef