Re: C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 - CD volume/mute does not work

Sergei Steshenko wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:20:01 -0500
>Jonathan Addleman <jonathan.addleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>alf wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am a new member of this group and need some help.
>>>
>>>When I listen to the CD, I am able to adjust only by Master Volume. CD
>>>Volume and the CD mute check does not work.
>>>
>>>I used Madriva 2006 and 2007 which uses alas 1.09b and 1.12 respectively.
>>>

>>>I have rather older hardware - this is AMD XP 1700+ with Soyo Dragon +
>>>motherboard with on board CMI8738-MC6.
>>>
>>>Evrything else works fine, modules looks loded fine.
>>>
>>>Any insight what is wrong? How can I debug the problem.
>>>
>>>Thx in advance ...
>>>

>>It's probably just that the motherboard has a few different inputs, and
>>whichever one the cdrom is plugged into isn't labelled 'cdrom' in the
>>mixer. Are there other mixer elements that could be controlling the
>>cdrom instead? Line in, phone, aux, etc...?
>>

>In more detail, the CD input is typically an analog input, so if your
>CD drive's analog output is not connected to your sound card's CD analog
>input, you won't be able to listen to CDs using analog route and to
>control the volume.
>
>And it is good in a sense - the master volume deals with PCM (digital)
>signal, so you do not have cheap CD ROM DAC and most likely cheap
>sound card ADC in the way of your signal.
>
>That is, from the point of view of sound quality it is best to have
>as little analog to digital and digital to analog conversions on the
>way as possible.

Hi,

thx for responses. I did a few more experiments:

    -under win2K
      1)  started regular  CD player, can control the volume by CD
slider, unplugging the analog cable stops the music
      2) started iTunes, can control volume by Wave slider, unplugging
the analog cable does not affect the playback

    in both cases, master volume also works

    -under Linux
     3) started various players, unplugging the analog cable does not
affect the playback, only master volume works, PCM (wave) slider does
not work

    master volume also works

Conclusion:
    - it is possible to have digital signal thru the IDE (I was not
aware before)

Question:
    -why PCM input slider in the mixed does not control volume, does it
have the same function what MS Windows Wave

--
thx in advance,

alfz1