Re: Midi issue with 1.0.12 and ice1712

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:29:18 -0700
Bob van der Poel <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Bob van der Poel wrote:
> >> I've just installed Mandriva 2007. It is using alsa 1.0.12 with my
> >> audiophile 2496 card. Oh, this is on linux  kernel 2.6.17-5mdv.
> >>
> >> There appears to be a problem with midi output. A few times now my
> >> entire computer has locked while playing a midi file using aplaymidi.
> >
> > This looks like the RTC bug.  Try adding the following line to
> > /etc/modprobe.conf:
> >
> > options seq seq_default_timer_device=0
>
> Worked for a few days ... just now it hung completely. Had to rePOWER
> the computer (RESET by itself didn't do the trick).
>
> [07:25 PM /proc/asound/seq] bob$ cat timer
> Timer for queue 0 : system timer
>    Period time : 0.004000000
>    Skew : 65536 / 65536
>
> [07:27 PM /proc/asound] bob$ cat version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.12 (Mon Aug 28
> 13:46:17 UTC 2006).
>
> This is all on Mandriva 2007 ... and I'll tell the world that I'm not
> too impressed with this distro. I think I'll install SLED10.1 later this
> week. Same problems to be expected?

I did install SUSE (not SLED, the free one) 10.1 on another computer, and I
didn't much like it compared to Mandriva 2006. I did the experiment because
I wanted to migrate from Mandriva in the first place.

All in all I find Mepis 6.01 quite pleasing.

But regarding your problem - better find very recent Live CDs and
try with them.

On the other hand, if something works for a few days and then just hangs
- debugging such a thing is a project by itself, it could be anything,
including faulty RAM, spike in power supply, CPU/chipset bug, whatever.

--Sergei.
--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.