ice1712: Volume confusion

Hello list,

I have a Midiman Audiophile 2496 connected to a NAD 314 with analog
chinch cables.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_314.pdf
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-focus.html

I installed ALSA 1.0.13 (tools, utils, drivers). alsamixer shows ADC 1+2
and DAC 1+2, all four of them have an influence on volume.

What are the best settings regarding output volume? Here's the info I
gathered so far:

- analog volume control is better than digital (latter strips detail)
- the 2496 output has a gain of +2dB at 100%
- the Windows driver has a toggle for switching between professional
  -10.0dB and consumer +2.0dB output

Here are the questions I have on my mind:

- Is a Hifi amplifier considered to be a consumer product?
- If so, should I reduce the output by -2.0dB?
- If not, should I reduce the output by -12.0dB?
- Why do the ADC's have an effect on playback volume?

I started wondering about this when connecting my portable player to the
amplifier. Its volume is the same as the one of the the 2496 when the
-10.0dB switch is on in Windows.

Thanks
Sebastian