Ego Systems (ESI) M4U: midi notes will only be played if previous notes have ended

Yesterday I bought me a ESI M4U to control my midi devices. I bought it because:
(a) It was a lot cheaper than the midisport 4x4,
(b) it would work with alsa (according to http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Ego_Sys#matrix ) and
(c) it doesn't require proprietary  firmware to be loaded like the midisport.

When plugging it in the snd_usb-audio module is loaded like it should.

When I play a single note it is played by the synthesizer connected to it. However, if I use a sequencer to play notes only the first one is played (the lights on the M4U flash though, as if it was sending a midi event),  unless there's a 'silence' between two notes. So basically the problem seems to occur if the next note is started before the previous note ended.
I think it's the same problem as these persons have / had:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/25492
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=36609976

I've upgraded alsa-driver and alsa-lib to 1.0.13, hoping it would solve the problem but it didn't.

Here's what /proc/asound/devices looks like:
  0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
 32: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer
 40: [ 1- 0]: raw midi

Anyone see anything wrong with it?

ps. I've only trieed kernel versions 2.6.16 and higher.

Any help is greatly appreciated. please let me know if you need any more info to help me get this thing to work. I'd hate having to buy a midisport to use my midi gear, so I'm willing to put in some more effort.

thanks!
Jacco.