1.0.13 hda-intel "playback write error"

Hello!

I recently installed the 1.0.13 version of ALSA. My PC uses hda-intel
drivers (HP DV2020 laptop).  I am running Ubuntu Dapper with a custom
kernel. (wireless-2.6 + patches)

I'm incredibly happy that this release fixed problems I was having
with headphones -- there are seperate controls for headphone and
speaker now, a vast improvement, since previously I couldn't get the
headphones working at all.

Anyways, since installing it I am having mixed results with various
applications, and I can't explain it..

Sound in VLC seems to always work perfectly.  So does the Flash Player
on sites like youtube.  mplayer often works, but sometimes just says
"Exiting.. (End of file)" without playing anything.

I have had no success with Audacity, it simply crashes.
And PureData can play sound, but it's extremely broken up and slow,
with error messages to the effect of "Can't sync A/D/A".

So far the only debug message I've seen from dmesg is the following,
after an Audacity crash:

----------------
ALSA /home/ssteve/projects/sound/alsa-driver-1.0.13/acore/../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:1714:
playback write error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)
----------------

I should also mention that I'm running the module with the follwoing
modprobe line:

options snd-hda-intel model=z71v position_fix=1 disable_msi=1

Without disable_msi it doesn't work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated thanks.  I'm willing
to do some debugging and testing, but though I have some limited
driver-writing experience, I'm not at all familiar with the alsa
internals.

Thanks,
Steve