From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx>
To: Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Matt Bucknall <matt_bucknall@xxxxxxxxxxx>; alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 16 October, 2006 8:06:39 PM
Subject: Re: E-mu 1212m support in HG

At Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:56:27 -0400,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 17:33 +0000, Matt Bucknall wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I have tried as you have suggested, but still get the same error
> > message! Any ideas?
> >
> > Matt.
> >

> The "Unsupported soundcard $FOO" message is actually quite misleading -
> it just means that something went wrong such that the build is not
> possible.  Often it's caused by not having the kernel sources installed
> or not having the same compiler that was used to build the kernel
> available.  (Someone should really fix that).

Not really.  The unmatched kernel or gcc ends with different messages.

The unsupported soundcard is either you passed a wrong configure
option (often typo), or alsa-kernel directory isn't set up correctly.

When you run ./configure --help, you'll see what cards are really
available.  If too little appear, check whether alsa-kernel symlink
from alsa-driver directory really points the correct path.
One often forgets to download _both_ alsa-kernel and alsa-driver
directory.

BTW, for such novice users without knowlege of mercurial and
auto-tools, I've already set up daily snapshot tarballs that are ready
to run configure directly in the below.  Give it a try.

    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/

Takashi