volume keeps resetting at play

hy,
im a little bit confused - i use alsa for quite some time now, but one
of my systems (a diskless ubuntu) keeps resetting the volume of the
front_pcm chan to 100% everytime i play something through it. if i play
a song, set it to 80% it stays like that till the next song plays and
then resets. strangely the mastervolume doesnt act like that and is
correctly saved at reboot. it doesnt matter what program i use - as soon
as it tries to access the spu anew it set front to 100% again. none of
my other systems has that problem. this happends regardless of the
nfsroot being writable or not. the homedirs are always rw.  also - the
gnomemixer crashes when this happens. everytime, if i set the volume
down before.this cant be the usual behavior.
could somebody point me in the right direction?
	jonas