routing audio to rear speakers

My problems is as follows:

I have a soundstorm chip (nforce2) using the intel8x0 driver with asla
1.0.11rc2. Both are build into the kernel. I want a seperate device to
play the audio on the rear speakers, without blocking any other audio
streams. I do not have hw mixing so I have to use dmix. The idea was to
define a new device:

pcm.skype {
   type    plug
   slave.pcm "skypeduplex"
}

pcm.skypeduplex {
  type                  asym
  playback.pcm          "nfrear"
  capture.pcm           "input"
}

Which uses a playback device nfrear. And which routes the the audio to
the rear channels and gives it to a dmix plugin (output) which combines
all the streams.

# skype
pcm.nfrear {
  type route
  slave.pcm "output" # :0 here is 1st hardware card (hw:0,0)
  slave.channels 6
  ttable.0.2 1 #left stereo channel to left rear channel
  ttable.1.3 1 #right stereo channel to right rear channel
}

Sadly, this does not work.
When I try to configure xmms to use the skype device I get the following
error message:

ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2152:(snd_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not
usable

** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): No configuration available for playback: No
such file or directory

But if I set

slave.pcm "snd_card"

I can play songs on the rear speakers with xmms.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Here is the rest of my .asoundrc

# Set default sound card
# Useful so that all settings can be changed to a different card here.
pcm.snd_card {
     type hw
     card 0
     device 0
}

# Allow mixing of multiple output streams to this device
pcm.output {
     type dmix
     ipc_key 1024
     ipc_perm 0660 # Sound for everybody in your group!
     slave.pcm "snd_card"
     slave {
          # This stuff provides some fixes for latency issues.
          # buffer_size should be set for your audio chipset.
          channels 6
          period_time 0
          period_size 1024
          buffer_size 8192
     }

     #bindings {
     #     0 0
     #     1 1
     #}
}

# Allow reading from the default device.
# Also known as record or capture.
pcm.input {
     type dsnoop
     ipc_key 2048
     slave.pcm "snd_card"

#Possible artsd full duplex fix:
     slave {
          period_time 0
          period_size 1024
          buffer_size 8192
     }

     bindings {
          0 0
          1 1
     }
}

# This is what we want as our default device
# a fully duplex (read/write) audio device.
pcm.duplex {
     type asym
     playback.pcm "output"
     capture.pcm "input"
}

###################
# CONVERSION PLUG #
###################
# Setting the default pcm device allows the conversion
# rate to be selected on the fly.
# duplex mode allows any alsa enabled app to read/write
# to the dmix plug (Fixes a problem with wine).
pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "duplex"
}

# Apparently this is wrong (breaks mplayer for me opening the device)
#ctl.!default {
#     type plug
#     slave.pcm "snd_card"
#}

########
# AOSS #
########
# OSS dsp0 device (OSS needs only output support, duplex will break some
stuff)
pcm.dsp0 {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "output"
}

# OSS control for dsp0 (needed?...this might not be useful)
ctl.dsp0 {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "snd_card"
}