Capturing audio with mencoder and alsa

Hello,

I have an abit av8 MB running slackware 10.1 (just build a
new 2.6.18 kernel for it).  I am using the built-in
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio
controller.

All I am trying to do is get stuff from my VCR onto the computer
using mencoder (part of the MPlayer suite) and my TV capture
card.  Now I also built Linux From Scratch on a different partition,
using the old OSS sound system, and that works just find.  I use
the ancient xmix program to select CD as my input and I record
sound and video with mencoder.  I can even play back the files
I capture under slackware using mplayer or xine.  But, when I
capture videos under slackware with alsa, I get no sound.  I
used:
amixer set CD capture, and GUIs like kmix and alsamixer to try
to select CD input for sound.  When I run alsamixer it shows
CD as capture (only after using the amixer command, I haven´t
figured out how to actually switch on capture in alsamixer), but
it always shows volume as zero.  When I use kmix it shows CD
as input with a high volume, but when I go to switches it only gives
me input1 and input2 as input source select.  Why can it not be
as simple as with xmix and oss?  I tried installing OSS as a replacement
for alsa on my slackware system but never succeeded in that either,
only when I build everything from scratch.  While building linux from
scratch was an interesting exercise I don´t want to have to do it all
the time.

I´ve looked on the net and I seem to be the only person with this
problem.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Carl