Re: linux-2.6.18, alsa-1.0.13, and ALi M5455

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Justin Findlay wrote:

> I have an ALi M5455 audio controller and I'm running vanilla
> linux-2.6.18 on gentoo.  Unfortunately this card doesn't work completely
> using the snd_intel8x0 driver.  The difficulty I'm having is that I
> cannot record any sound from a microphone although I can hear the
> microphone through the card's output(s).  I've also built kernel support
> for the snd_ali5451 driver hoping that it would provide better support,
> but alsaconf doesn't recognize it.  I've even tried
>
> # find /etc/ -type f | xargs sed -i -e "s/intel8x0/ali5451/g"
> # modules-update
> # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart

No idea why you felt this would work. In fact it should produce a mess.

When you have done the alsasound restart, look at
dmesg|tail -20
to see if there are any error messages.

> which failed.
>
> When will a driver be available for this card?  Is there something I can
> do to help create one?

It sounds a lot like you did not turn on the microphone.
Type
alsamixer
The type the Tab key.
On the third line it is the Capture that should now be highlighted. And
there should be one Capture slider. Make sure it is slid up.
Also at the bottom are the Line, CD, Mic,....
Use the right arrow key to go to Mic.
and hit the space bar.
The Capture light should now be on the Mic.
Now try using arecord to see if you can get some input. You can must let it
to to the terminal and when you make noise into the microphone do you get
changes in teh patterns of hex digits that are displayed.

If so your microphone is working.