Problems with Creative SoundBlaster Extigy in Ubuntu (Dapper Drake)

Hello,

suddenly (for 4 days now) my external soundcard isn't working anymore -
I used it now for more than one year under Ubuntu and I don't know what
to do. I hope somebody can help me.

The soundcard worked out of the box with Ubuntu Dapper Drake and I
didn't change anything... the snd_usb_audio module is loaded,
"cat /proc/asound/cards" says

0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                     Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at 0xa0200000, irq
10
1 [Extigy         ]: USB-Audio - Sound Blaster Extigy
                     Creative Technology Ltd. Sound Blaster Extigy at
usb-0000:00:1d.0-2, full speed

In Gnome control-center I can choose the Extigy as preferred sound card
and there is no error message or something... Everything seems fine but
there is no sound at all.

Until now the soundcard was working fine - OK, in the beginning of each
and every sound there was a strange cracking noise... But I got used to
that.

I tested the soundcard in Window$ and there it workes... I suppose my
problem has something to do with some Ubuntu-Update because I didn't do
anything else in the past days.

I would really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Stefan.