Re: Problems with snd hda intel: works only part of the time

On Friday 06 October 2006 13:35, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Dominique Michel wrote:
> > "Clemens Ladisch" <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> > > The correct way to specify sound card order is to set 'index' options
> > > in modprobe.conf (or whatever file is used).  This works regardless of
> > > the order in which the drivers are loaded.
> >
> > I know that, but it just don't work if udev load any sound driver as
> > snd_usb_audio before at alsasound is started.
>
> Of course it does work.  Driver modules get their module options from
> modprobe.conf regardless of when or how they are loaded.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

One problem I had, was to do with extra spaces at the end of option lines. It
only happened once after updates from planetccrma. My sound card is index=0,
and snd-usb-audio for my usb midi keyboard is index=1. After the updates
snd-usb-audio was being loaded as card 0 again with consequently no sound
from the actual soundcard which was being loaded as card 1. Fernando
suggested that it might be to do with extra spaces after the options lines,
and sure enough when I redid the 2 options lines being carefull to "enter"
precisely at the end of each line, the problem was solved.

It only happened once for me, but I did see it mentioned again on the
planetccrma list.

It may just have been a planetccrma problem, but I suppose it's good to bear
in mind the importance of being carefull, and accurate when editing files.

2¢ worth.

Nigel.