dmix/hw timed failure/distortion

Hi,

I've been trying a few methods with no success of late to allow long
term use of alsa.

I've tried two paths with two different problems.

1. dmix. This is the default under alsa-lib for this card, and this is
using default ICH4.conf settings under alsa-lib. After around 20 hours
(I have tried this many, many times), sound totally stops, never to
return. I believe this to be a ptr related issue as it doesn't seem to
vary in time of occurrence regardless of the amount of sound being
played. I have tried this on three different integrated chipsets (all
based on intel8x0/ICH5/6, with two differing AC97 chips) with the same
result.

2. sans-dmix. (Direct hw). Hardware mixing isn't a requirement in this
case, so the lack of dmix is fairly irrelevant functionally. With
direct hw, after about the same period of time, but at up to a couple
of days, heavy distortion suddenly kicks in. My current thoughts are
that this is a result of not handling the wierd period_time and buffer
size created by the rate plugins sw->hw params code in
snd_pcm_rate_hw_refine_cchange(). (Still not understanding why
functions are being called in pcm_rate.c without and reference to it
in alsa conf...). These figures are period_size 1115, buffer_size
3345. This is clearly a result of (48000 / 44100) * 1024 = 1114.55, as
44100/16/2/1024 are the requested settings, but I don't understand the
actual rate conversion this way with the exception of obvious
assumptions.

The sans-dmix option doesn't have this problem on other hardware -
trying the exact same file system on a machine with an ICH5 and AD1985
pcm chip has no problems, whilst the ICH6 & ALC655 chip combination
falls down. The AD1985 seems to support 44100 direct to hw, however,
but I did try using the rate plugin to set this to 48000, got the same
period_size/buffer_size as above and had no problems.

Two final bits of intruiging trivia:- running the same app through OSS
(this is an SDL app, so this provides no problems) is problem free,
and this is, importantly, only alsa oss emulation, so its following
many of the same audio paths. I have tested this path for up to a
month of application uptime.

Secondly, restarting the program instantly fixes the issue.

Some versions for reference:
Kernel: 2.6.16.16
Alsa-lib: 1.0.11rc3
SDL: 1.2.8

[ I've also tried with the "Fix hwptr update in rate plugin" patch
applied to alsa-lib ]

Intel i915 ICH6 | ALC655 [ Broken Dmix & Distorted direct ]
Intel 865 ICH5 | AD1985 [ Broken Dmix only. ]

I will be leaving a couple of machines with different software
configurations to test over the weekend, (latest alsa-lib, different
kernel), but I would like any comments anyone has on this
configuration or long term alsa use, especially with similar hardware.