How to know hardware limitations ?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is some way or some tool to know exactly
the hardware limitation of a particular sound card for the capture
function (eg rate and bits).

To avoid the hardware limits I'm using the plughw device. It works
fine but i'm willing to know if the sample rate that I use (48Khz for
example) is native from the soundcard or if it is software resampled
from the plughw device.

Consider also an unkown multi sound card environnement viewed
from a bash script for example. How can the script choose the
sound card that natively has the highest capture sample rate
capability ?

Thanks for your time,

Olivier Delhomme.