Re: Documentation as to how replication works

On 11/16/23 02:50, John Apple II wrote:
Hi, William,

  I am working on trying to figure out how to some basic monitoring IdM Replication with a non-Directory-Manager service-account for some internal work I do where we use IdM, and I'm trying to work on figuring out how to create a service-account that will allow some basic monitoring for LDAP replication between the IdM nodes (hopefully similar to cipa?).
FYI on DS side we are prototyping a new monitoring mechanism as monitoring replication is a long pending needs and current mechanisms may have some drawbacks (complexity or false negative/positive)

I've been looking for information all over the web (including this list) for this for about a month now. If you've made any progress on something similar related to this, I'd be interested in collaborating.  I've come up with a basic LDIF and some test python code to validate the ACIs for the service-account, but nothing else as it took me 5 days just to figure out how to write ACI's.

In case it can help anyone in the future, my current LDIF follows - the goal is to individually pull each server's LDAP entries directly (as a start) and then compare them, but it allows the service-account to access the replication data in the directory as well as the sysaccounts directory itself.

SUFFIX="dc=domain,dc=example,dc=com"
ldif follows:
----
dn: uid=replmonitor,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,SUFFIX
changetype: add
objectclass: account
objectclass: simplesecurityobject
uid: replmonitor
userPassword: NOTAREALPASSWORD
passwordExpirationTime: 20381231235959Z
nsIdleTimeout: 0

dn: cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,SUFFIX
changetype: modify
add: aci
aci: (targetattr != "userPassword || krbPrincipalKey || sambaLMPassword || sambaNTPassword || passwordHistory || krbMKey || krbPrincipalName || krbCanonicalName || krbPwdHistory || krbLastPwdChange || krbExtraData || krbLastSuccessfulAuth || krbLastFailedAuth || ipaUniqueId || memberOf || enrolledBy || ipaNTHash || ipaProtectedOperation || aci || member") (version 3.0; acl "allow (compare,read,search) of sysaccounts by replmonitor"; allow(search,read,compare) userdn = "ldap:///uid=replmonitor,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,SUFFIX";;)

dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
add: aci
aci: (targetattr != "userPassword || krbPrincipalKey || sambaLMPassword || sambaNTPassword || passwordHistory || krbMKey || krbPrincipalName ||  krbCanonicalName || krbPwdHistory || krbLastPwdChange || krbExtraData || krbLastSuccessfulAuth || krbLastFailedAuth || ipaUniqueId || memberOf || enrolledBy || ipaNTHash || ipaProtectedOperation || aci || member") (version 3.0; acl "allow (compare,read,search) of cn=config by replmonitor"; allow(search,read,compare) userdn = "ldap:///uid=replmonitor,cn=sysaccounts,cn=etc,SUFFIX";;)

----

John Apple II