Re: Documentation as to how replication works

Hi,

The explanation below looks excellent to me. You may also have a look at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_directory_server/11/html/deployment_guide/designing_the_replication_process#doc-wrapper

Regarding the initial concern "having regular problems with missed replications". A key element is that there is no synchronous replication, an update is not sync immediately to all replicas. A LDAP client req an update on one replica (original replica) that will propagate the update to others replicas (themselves will be able to propagate it to a next replica ("hops")). So there may be a delay (replication lag) between the original update and the time the last replica will receive it. Usually the delay is few seconds but may depend on may factors.

As you noticed, updates are identified with CSN that are logged in access log. If you suspect that an update is missing, you need to check if the related CSN is present in the remote replicas access log files. note that access logs are buffered.

best regards
thierry