Re: intro to 389 LDAP administration

> On 14 May 2020, at 05:54, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Greetings 389 users,
>
> I am a sysadmin that has never really used LDAP before. I have installed 389-ds and am a little stuck as to how to start.

Hey there, welcome to LDAP and 389-ds!

> I am using Debian Buster...
>
> 389-ds:
>  Installed: 1.4.0.21-1
>
> From the site:
>
> https://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/howto/howto-install-389.html
>
> I see it recommends setting a .dsrc file to ease usage as the root user:
>
> For local instance administration (on the server), you want to use settings like:
>
> # cat ~/.dsrc
> [localhost]
> # Note that '/' is replaced to '%%2f'.
> uri = ldapi://%%2fvar%%2frun%%2fslapd-localhost.socket

Yeah, this socket file name is encoded. Check for /var/run/slapd-<instance name>.socket, which in your case, is slapd-gopher.socket.

> basedn = dc=example,dc=com
> binddn = cn=Directory Manager
>
> I don't have the socket file in my installation. I don't see any sockets owned by the directory service:
>
> # systemctl status dirsrv@gopher.service
> ● dirsrv@gopher.service - 389 Directory Server gopher.
>   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dirsrv@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
>   Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-05-13 12:38:22 CDT; 2h 5min ago
> Main PID: 12270 (ns-slapd)
>    Tasks: 25 (limit: 4722)
>   Memory: 19.2M
>   CGroup: /system.slice/system-dirsrv.slice/dirsrv@gopher.service
>           └─12270 /usr/sbin/ns-slapd -D /etc/dirsrv/slapd-gopher -i /var/run/dirsrv/slapd-gopher.pid
>
> # tree /var/run/dirsrv
> /var/run/dirsrv
> ├── slapd-gopher.pid
> └── slapd-gopher.stats
>
> The Debian package states to initialize the server to run the command: /usr/sbin/setup-ds
>
> I don't know if that is a distribution agnostic program or not. The command did prompt me for a password - which I entered.

Which program did you use to create the server? It should be dscreate as setup-ds.pl has been deprecated and should be removed ....

> When I run a command like dsidm or ldapmodify, the command prompts me for a password. I enter the one that was prompted for with setup-ds, but I get:

Whin you run dsidm you need to use it as root or user dirsrv - this is because it reads the .dsrc of the user, finds the ldapi socket, and then uses the uid/gid of the current process to map your authetication through.

When you use ldapmodify, you need to configure the related openldap tools instead, at /etc/openldap/ldap.conf. You can generate a configuration for this with:

> dsidm <instance name> client_config ldap.conf

#
# OpenLDAP client configuration
# Generated by 389 Directory Server - dsidm
#

# See ldap.conf(5) for details
# This file should be world readable but not world writable.

BASE    dc=blackhats,dc=net,dc=au
# Remember to check this: you can have multiple uris on this line. You may have
# multiple servers or load balancers in your environment.
URI     ldapi://%2fdata%2frun%2fslapd-localhost.socket
# If you have DNS SRV records you can use:
# URI   ldaps:///dc%3Dblackhats%2Cdc%3Dnet%2Cdc%3Dau

DEREF   never
# To use cacert dir, place *.crt files in this path then run:
# /usr/bin/c_rehash /etc/openldap/certs
TLS_CACERTDIR /etc/openldap/certs
# TLS_CACERT /etc/openldap/certs/ca.crt

> SASL/SCRAM-SHA-1 authentication started
> Please enter your password:
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Invalid credentials (49)
>
> I guess I have two questions.
>
> 1. Should there be a socket somewhere owned by slapd for local communication?
>
> 2. What password should I enter for ldap<command> and dsidm?

It depends who the user is. If you have .dsrc with ldapi, you won't need a password as your are binding with cn=Directory Manager aka "root for 389-ds ldap". If you end up delegating privileges, you wouldbind as "that users dn".

Hope that helps somewhat!

> Thanks for any pointer, advice, or help!
>
> -m

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs