Re: Fwd: I'm about to start coding a plugin for Heimdal Kerberos V and have a question

Sort of yes
I was hoping to avoid writing a matching plugin for 389 server if
possible but if that needs to happen then Ill do that latter as a
second step.

Heimdal allows me to add an external program which it calls to do a
password quality check. it passes the password and the principal name
to the external programs STDIN.
Initially what I intend to do is utilize it to have it map the realm
to a base search path OU then search for the user and update the
matching password fields appropriately.
This way the password fields in the LDAP database will match the
updated passwords in the Heimdal KDC this way programs which are
unfortunately written to directly read those fields will work. The
main reason for this is dealing with poorly written web interfaces
which claim to be LDAPv3  compliant but are really LDAPv2 applications
which don't utilize binds for authentication but instead try to handle
the authentication themselves.

latter I intended to write a reverse plugin down the line to handle
syncing in the other direction but if what you are saying is correct
then I need to do this in 3 stages.
 1) A simple LDAP password field update plugin for Heimdal
 2) A 389 server plugin for taking a clear password in a secondary
field and run it through the password quality checks and feed the pass
or fail results back to the first plugin.
 3) A second 389 server plugin triggered by the password quality
checks to send the password to the KDC via the kadmin libraries.
probably utilizing a locking field to prevent loops.

I was originally hoping I could avoid step 2 but if that is what I
will need to do then eventually I will get to it. Right now only the
first one is critical for me the rest are nice to have features.