Problems with accessing console

On 11/19/2010 04:34 AM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a bit of a problem with a few 389 servers I recently build...
>
> Firstly how I got there:
>
> I added 4 additional servers to our infrastructure, the servers had
> 389 installed and configured but as a separate set of 4 servers
> completely stand alone. I removed everything with remove-ds-admin -f
> -y before I added the 4 servers to our main infrastructure.
>
> We use a shared (multimaster netscapedb setup), setup in the following
> way:
>
> Enable changelog on new server ( aka master-new)
>
> Create netscapedb root suffix
>
> enable master replica for netscape db
>
> iniatiate db from another master (aka master01)
>
> run register-ds-admin.pl on master-new
>
> The problem is that I am not able to access the admin console.
>
> If I run the console from master01 and try to access the admin console
> on master-new, it takes a very long time to load and when I then try
> and view anything in the configuration tab I get timeouts. I can open
> the directory server for master-new remotely so that seems to be
> working fine.

Once the console is running, and you have opened the console for the
directory server, it mostly uses ldap directly to that directory server
Interactions of the admin server console go through the admin server and
the configuration directory server.

To debug console problems:
first run the console with the -D  -f console.log arguments added
next, check the admin server logs in /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv - error
and access

> My questions:
>
> It seems remove-ds-admin.pl does not cleanly remove any previously set
> admin settings for the admin server, would you agree or is it expected
> to not remove admin server settings.

It should, if you use remove-ds-admin.pl -y -f
after you run this, you can verify that there is nothing left in
/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv, except read-only config files and any cert/key
db that you have created

> How can I fix this, comparing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/local.conf to
> another working server brings up loads and loads of differences.

There is a lot of host dependent stuff in there.

> My first thought is to fix this file.

This file is merely a local read-only cache of the real data stored
under o=NetscapeRoot for this server.  If you edit it, the edits will be
overwritten.

> I compared to different working servers and they seem similar enough
> for me to attempt this. I am just not sure if this would have other
> effects not yet known. Is this a recommend course of action?
>
> My other option is to start again, but I don't know how to delete a
> server cleanly from netscapedb if I use a shared MM netscapedb
> database. Is there a recommended way to do this?

ds_removal