FDS & Red Hat Certificate System

> ...to automatically hand out CA certs to ldap clients upon request?

There is no standard mechanism for this.  You have to manually copy CA
certs to the location and in the format that each of your secure LDAP
client apps expects.

> yea but what about ldap clients?  AFAIK no ldap client implicitly trusts verisign or anything like
> that.  So, even if I do get a real CA cert, will a plain vanilla FC4 install trust it?  I'm
> guessing no....?

RedHat Linux in the past has come with a bundle of well-known CA certs
in /usr/share/ssl/cert.pem.  I haven't used FC4, but I'm guessing it has
this too?

You would still need to configure LDAP client apps to know about this file.
Using PADL's pam_ldap/nss_ldap as an example, you would need to add:
tls_cacertfile /usr/share/ssl/cert.pem
...to /etc/ldap.conf.