How can I create a User ID alias?

Jeff Clowser wrote:

> Richard Megginson wrote:
>
>> Darren Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> I have an in production application at our office (Web Calendar) that I
>>> am migrating to LDAP authentication using FDS from application internal
>>> authentication.
>>> Some of the users in the old program have user id's of $firstname and
>>> they don't work because everyone in the ldap server was setup as
>>> $firstinitial$lasthname.
>>> I have not been sucessful at changing the User ID's in the application
>>> from $firstname to $firstinitial$lastname.
>>>
>>> Question:  Is there a way that I can make aliases in FDS such that User
>>> ID james equals User ID jjones?  If so, how can I do it?
>>>

>> FDS does not support LDAP aliases.  However, you can have a single
>> entry with two different uid attributes - uid is a multi-valued
>> attribute.  This will allow you to do an LDAP search for uid=james or
>> uid=jjones and get the same entry.  If you want to use uid as the
>> naming attribute for the DN, you will just have to pick one of the
>> values.
>>
> Be careful with this, though - even though LDAP allows/defines uid to
> be multivalued, I have seen some apps that expect uid to be single
> valued, and choke or give unexpected results on users that are not.
> You'll only know, though, by trying it out and seeing if something
> breaks.  What is the web calendar app you are using?  Are you using
> any other apps that use your FDS?
>
> - Jeff
>

> --

Hello,

The web calendar is "Web Calendar" ( http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php )
and I'm currently authenticating using http basic auth, over SSL using
mod_ldap in Apache.  User authenticates as jjones and if there is a
webcal user by the name of jjones, it pulls up his calendar.  My only
problem was that jjones (in this case) doesn't have a calendar, but user
james does.  I wanted it to recognize that jjones was james and it would
pull up the calendar.

Adding a second User ID for that user doesn't seem to accomplish my goal
in this case, by may help out in the future.  Thanks for the help.

Darren

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora User Discussion]     [Older Fedora Users]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Package Announce]     [EPEL Announce]     [Fedora News]     [Fedora Cloud]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Education]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Scitech]     [Fedora Robotics]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Infrastructure]     [Fedora Websites]     [Anaconda Devel]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora Fonts]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Management Tools]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora R Devel]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kickstart]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Centos]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Fedora Legal]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora QA]     [Fedora Triage]     [Fedora OCaml]     [Coolkey]     [Virtualization Tools]     [ET Management Tools]     [Yum Users]     [Tux]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Linux Apps]     [Maemo Users]     [Gnome Users]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]     [Maemo Users]     [Asterisk PBX]     [Fedora Sparc]     [Fedora Universal Network Connector]     [Fedora ARM]